A Hand Cranked Handy Andy

I picked up a large hand cranked grinder when I was in PA last spring, and just finally got around to getting it set up.  Its marked Handy Andy by Pike.  It will take an 8″ wheel, although I had to turn a bushing to fit the 3/8″ shaft.  I used a piece of cutting board plastic, which seemed to work pretty well. Of course the tool rest was MIA, so I used one from an electron burning grinder.  It’s a bit tough to adjust, but its solid.  I need think on it a bit yet, and see if I can’t improve on the attachment/adjustment design.  I trued up the wheel and ground a chisel tonight.  It works great, although I need to find a good sturdy mount for it in the shop.


Handy Andy Grinder by Pike





Now if I could just train my apprentice to crank it!!


Keta the shop dog just cant seem to get the hang of cranking that grinder!

Thanks for stopping by.


I Always Liked Trains!

Of course I like saws too. So what could be better than a saw with a train on it?  A sharp saw with a train on it, of course.


Grandpa liked trains too, he had a big multi level model train setup when I was a kid.  I can remember when we would go to visit, the first thing I would do when we got there was fire up all the trains.  Of course I had a train setup too, Grandpa would always give me train stuff for Christmas.  I guess Grandpa is the reason I like trains and woodworking.

It’s summertime in Alaska and the weather has been great.  Eighty degrees here today!  I haven’t been woodworking much as there is too much other fun stuff to do.  I spent the day today with Dad fishing on Ptarmigan Creek.

With the nice weather and a few minutes of free time here and there, I have been dragging the Acme saw vise outside and sharpening saws under the midnight sun.  I think I have done about 9 or 10 in the last two months.

The Fast Mail saw has the Simmons Hardware etch and a Warranted Superior medallion, so I have no idea who made it.  It does not look like it was a high end saw, as you can see the plate was never highly polished, however it is double tapered and cuts nicely now that I sharpened it.  Eight ppi crosscut with 12 degrees of rake and 20 degrees of fleam.


The handle has two different folks initials in it. I stripped the old finish and gave it a bit of BLO and garnet shellac.


There is a bit of history on the Simmons Hardware Company on the Hardware Companies Kollectors Klub (THCKK) website.

Here is a shot of Grandpa at the table saw in 2007.  Thanks Grandpa!

pa pics 094-001

Well, I still have a few more saws to sharpen, so you’ll likely see another saw or two in the next post.  Practice makes perfect.

Thanks for stopping by.


No Woodworking Going on Here!

Its summertime in Alaska and I have been indulging in my other hobby; fishing!  I took last week off from work and we went over east to Copper Center to fish the Klutina river.  We stayed at Groves Klutina River Campground along the old Richardson highway.  This is our favorite place to camp, as many folks return there year after year.  We had a chance to catch up with some old friends and make some new ones.  The fishing was great, the sockeye salmon were plentiful, and we managed to put 30 in the freezer for the long winter ahead.





The Wife even put some time in on the river and caught a few too!


Mrs AlaskaWoodworker with a limit of Sockeye salmon

Now I need to get back in the shop!  Thanks for stopping by.

Another sharp One!

I spent part of the day in front of the Acme saw vise again today.  Finished up a nice late model 22″ 10ppi Disston D8.  It has a nice cover-top handle that I stripped and refinished with boiled linseed oil and blond shellac.  It crosscuts very nicely now that its sharp.  I picked this one up locally off of Craig’s List last weekend. Thanks for saving this one John.




Here is a before picture along with a late model Atkins rip saw.  Haven’t touched that one yet.


Thanks for visiting.

Some Serious Dental Work

This was a snaggle toothed old lady.  Peg teeth, cows and calves, hollow in the center, she had all sorts of problems.  Instead of woodworking and finishing the carving on the ball and claw feet, I have been doing some saw restoration over the last week or so.  Today I finished up an old Richardson Bros #7.

I should have taken a picture of the teeth before I jointed, but I forgot.  Here is a shot right after jointing.  The Red is Dykem layout fluid which aids in filling by allowing you to see where you have filed and where you haven’t.  As you can see, these teeth are a real mess.


After many rounds of jointing and filling, things started looking a bit better.  The old gullets are still there and make the teeth look really wonky!


I must have lost a 1/4″ of saw plate due to the massive hollow in the center of the tooth line.  This one must have been sharpened many times without jointing.  After a few more rounds of jointing and filling, things are looking better, but the old gullets are still there.


I was pretty happy with the way this one came out.  There are still two or three teeth with evidence of the old gullets (the red line is pointing to one), but they are far enough from the cutting edge, that I decided to call it good. The next sharpening will take care of them.  This one is 6ppi, and I sharpened it rip with 6 degrees of rake.


Most of the original finish on the handle was shot, so I stripped it and refinished it with a bit of boiled linseed oil and a couple of light coats of blond shellac. The upper horn was broken, so I repaired it with a bit of beech form an old dog meat moulding plane.


I am really happy with the repair, I used some gel stain and shellac to color it.



A light etch,but still legible.



Richardson Bros, is one of my favorite makers, this one is going into the till.

Thanks for stopping by.